Hunger Statistics: Food Insecurity & Very Low Food Security
- In 2009, 50.2 million Americans lived in food insecure households, 33 million adults and 17.2 million children
- In 2009, 14.7 percent of households (17.4 million households) were food insecure.
- In 2009, 5.7 percent of households (6.8 million households) experienced very low food security.
- In 2009, households with children reported food insecurity at almost double the rate for those without children, 21.3 percent compared to 11.4 percent.
- In 2009, households that had higher rates of food insecurity than the national average included households with children (21.3 percent), especially households with children headed by single women (36.6 percent) or single men (27.8 percent), Black non-Hispanic households (24.9 percent) and Hispanic households (26.9 percent).
- In 2009, 7.8 percent of seniors living alone (884,000 households) were food insecure.
USDA.Mark Nord, M. Andrews, S. Carlson.
Household Food Security in the United States, 2009.